Canada: Québec Government Merit Scholarship Program 2021/2022 for International Students
The Québec Government opens the Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE) to support the internationalization of research activities in Québec’s institutions of higher education, to attract the best foreign researchers and students, and to promote abroad Québec universities and College Centres for the Transfer of Technologies (CCTT).
Application Deadline: 1st November, 2020, 4 PM
Eligible Countries: International
To be Taken at (Country): Universities in Québec, Canada
About the Award: The program covers higher education as a whole by giving to the CCTT researchers and administrators the opportunity to participate.
In a more generic way, the attribution of scholarships for foreign students aims at creating cultural links and allowing the setting up of possible common scientific research projects.
The program also represents an instrument for the MEES to support the Government of Québec’s scientific policy.
The Merit Scholarship Programs for Foreign Students has three components:
- Doctoral research scholarships (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W);
- Postdoctoral scholarships (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M);
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W)
Type: Doctoral, Research, Postdoctoral
Eligibility: These scholarships are intended for foreign students or researchers from all research sectors (health, humanities and social sciences, arts and letters, natural sciences, and engineering) preselected by a Québec university, Synchronex, the China Scholarship Council (CSC), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico (SRE) or the National Council on Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) to begin or continue studies or research activities in Québec. There is no privileged research sector.
Selection Criteria: Candidates:
- Must meet all eligibility conditions at the closing date of the competition (a different closing date has to be confirmed for the students preselected by CSC).
- Must have been preselected by a university or Synchronex (a CCTT).
- For the Québec-China scholarship, must be preselected by the CSC.
- Cannot have already received a Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students from MEES, FRQNT or theFonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC).
- Cannot be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Cannot have applied for permanent resident status under Canadian immigration law.
Restriction for programs of study
- Double doctoral degree programs are not eligible.
- Québec-Wallonia scholarship applicants must have previously studied in a French-language university-level institution in Belgium by the time they are granted their scholarship.
Doctoral research scholarship recipients must:
- Have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec and a study permit issued by the Canadian Consulate valid for the entire duration of their scholarship.
Postdoctoral scholarship recipients must:
- Have a work permit issued by the Canadian Consulate for the entire duration of their scholarship.
Short-term research or professional development scholarship (recipients must:
- Have a temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization to come to Canada. More information about this is available at this website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit-result.asp?q1_options=24
Number of Awards: Not specified (There are no quotas per country)
Value of Award:
- Doctoral research scholarships: $25,000 a year. The duration of the scholarship is three years, with a possible extension of up to 12 months (monthly allowance of $1,000).
- Postdoctoral scholarships: $35,000 for one year (cannot be renewed).
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships: $3,000 a month for a period of up to four months.
- In addition to the scholarship, MEES offers all scholarship recipients an exemption from paying the higher tuition fees required for foreign students and the medical insurance coverage offered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
Duration of Award:
- Doctoral research scholarships: The maximum duration of the scholarship is three years (nine semesters), with a possible extension of up to 12 months.
- Postdoctoral scholarships: The duration of this scholarship is one year. This scholarship is not renewable.
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships: The duration of this scholarship is four months. The scholarship is not renewable. A scholarship of lesser duration can be granted if the duration of the research is less than four months.
How to Apply: Apply in link below
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.